NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 00:50:26 -0400
I'm sorry, but I've got to speak up for the good Doctor.  He is still
blamed for encouraging "permissiveness" with children, and yet that is
not what his book(s) said (and I have my Mom's 1963 copy, if anyone
cares!).  His book ALWAYS encouraged firm discipline for children.  What
was revolutionary at the time of his first book (1933? 1943? 1953?) was
he advocated feeding infants when they were hungry.  No kidding, that
was revolutionary.

In the early part of the century, doctors became convinced that in order
to avoid infections and disease, babies should only be fed every four
hours, no matter what.  Strict Schedule, all that sort of rot.  Part of
the need for strictness was getting parents to understand the need for
sterilizing bottles, nipples, and all the paraphernalia to safely feed
babies the formula that they (doctors) believed superior to breast milk
(ha,ha).

The Schedule was all Spock was against.  We now know that breast-fed
babies typically must nurse every two hours, and that each child is
different, but in those days people were told to ignore their infants'
cries until the time was up.

This is Spock's only "permissiveness" ever advocated - letting babies
decide when they are hungry, and feeding them at that time.  Shocking!

It's a shame people presumed that "letting the child decide" could be
applied to ALL areas of life, such as behavior.  And that this attitude
permeates society to this day.  But the man never said any such thing!

:-)