NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gail Norton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 00:10:43 -0500
On Tue, 11 Nov 1997, Helen Fernety wrote:

> My daughter is allergic to milk proteins. I understand that most turkeys
> are basted with dairy products and even some ham's are processed with
> dairy. Help, can I serve either one safety for Thanksgiving.

Could always just use a certified kosher turkey...I've seen them in
regular grocery stores around Thanksgiving time.  Also, despite the name,
the larger Butterball turkeys have not contained dairy in past years.
If you buy a smaller size, a gravy packet may be included that
contains whey, possibly in the cavity, but it is well sealed.  Just let
everything thaw really well before you remove it.

Gail