NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Karin Dietterich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:57:13 -0700
Eric E <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Thanks for the tip James, I'm going to try these.
> Anyone regularly eat waffles or pancakes?  I was wondering if any of those
> are safe.

I buy frozen waffles at the health food store.  There are several varieties
that are labeled OU and contain no dairy.  I make my own pancake batter and
substitute Rice Milk for the milk.

> Also regarding Chinese Food.. is General Tso's chicken, from restaurants in
> the US, generally milk-free?  I asked the owner of my favorite Chinese
> restaurant if one of the meals had milk or butter in it, and he said that
> nothing they serve has any milk items.. but I'm still a bit uneasy about
> ordering it from anywhere.  I am intolerant, not allergic.. so I suppose I
> could risk it if I really wanted to.

I love going out for Chinese food since I can eat anything on the menu, with
the exception of cream cheese wontons.  I've never encountered hidden milk in
Chinese or Japanese food.  You have to be more careful with Thai, Indian, and
Morrocan food.  Anywhere that yogurt can creep in.

Karin Dietterich