NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 1997 10:12:14 -0600
>Hi all, got a question.  My son is very small and 2.  He is majorally
>allergic to milk.  Me and the dr. are trying to think of high fat foods he
>can eat that have no dairy.  Do you guys have any ideas??  I heard  an
>avocodo is high in fat.  Is this true?
>
>Thanks,
>Lila

At 2 my son (now 5 1/2) who is allergic to dairy (gets hives) was also
sensitive to wheat and rice (made him very congested with a constant drippy
nose.  He was also very thin. At the time we had him off of wheat and rice,
but after seeing an Ayurvedic doctor it was pointed out to us that wheat
and rice build up a body.  It is not just calories that put on weight and
build up an individual but also certain food types.

The doctor also gave us herbs to build up his digestion and told us ways to
cook wheat and rice that would make it more easily digestible.  Within 2
weeks the congestion stopped and he really put on weight.  (Wish we could
get rid of the milk allergy, now.  That seems to be a real allergy and not
just poor digestion.)

Regarding non-dairy fats to also build up someone--olive oil is good.  It
is easily digestible and I use also the light variety a lot to cook with
since it doesn't have a strong taste.

Avocados are good as well as heavier sweet fruits, such as cherries,
peaches, plums, mango, grapes, (not so much apples and pears which are a
lighter kind of fruit).

Good luck.

Rachele Shaw