NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lisa Kovaleski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2003 13:14:02 EDT
Two disclaimers I don't usually write recipes. And so if terms aren't correct
I'm sorry. I am also a cook who doesn't follow recipes or directions--so
measurements are not meant to be scientifically precise.  Happy Cooking--and let
me know how it all turns out.
Best Lisa

       1        package of giant pasta shells
       1        large bag of chopped spinach (I use the fresh, but have used
frozen when in a                                             hurry)
                Assorted mushrooms (I use portabella, crimini and whatever
looks the              freshest--I try to use types that have a woodier flavor)
around 2 chopped cupfuls
       1         Large onion
       1        regular sized brick of firm tofu
       1         regular sized block of soy mozzarella
       1-2      bunches fresh basil
       1         large egg
       1-2      Cups sourdough breadcrumbs (I just run sliced bread through
the blender)
                A handful of fresh chopped garlic
                Soy Parmesan
                Pasta sauce (like the kind you put on Pizza)
                Olive oil & a little soy margarine.

       ***Optional--can add chopped sausage, chicken, beef or whatever your
dietary       inclinations might be.

Put a few tablespoons of olive oil and margarine into saute pan and heat.
Chop onion, garlic and mushrooms into small pieces add to pan w/spinach,
chop the basil add to pan & salt and pepper to taste.  Saute until all are
pale and soft.

If you are going to add any sausage or whatever saute these as well.

Meanwhile, bring salted water to a boil and cook shells.  Leave a little al
dente as they will be baked later and are easier to stuff.

Shred mozzarella and run 1/2 brick of tofu through the blender.

In a large bowl mix tofu, vegetable saute and if using meat, chicken, etc.,
add as well.
Add 3/4 mixture of shredded mozzarella, egg & breadcrumbs.  Fold and mix
together until mixture has moist, yet moldable consistency.

Liberally grease the bottom and sides of a baking dish. Stuff shell w/
mixture and place in greased dish. When batch is stuffed--add 1-2 tablespoons of
pasta sauce on top.  Sprinkle w/ parmesan and top w/ shredded mozzarella.

Bake 10-15 minutes on 325.