NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hazel & Ray Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 May 1998 17:02:01 -0400
Simon W (&/or Bonnie D) Hecht wrote:

> Let me see if I have this correct.
>
> School districts set up No Peanut Zones in lunchroom if a student is
> allergic to peanuts, or ban peanuts (peanut butter) on the possibility that
> someone may be allergic.
>
> On the other hand, we have a 3 year old with a serious allergy to any kind
> of nut.  His parents cut down an old, possibly dangerous, walnut tree

No matter where you go in life there is always going to people who
oppose some things and not others. To get a no peanut zone in a school
it doesn't happen overnight, neither usually does cutting down a tree.
Yes according to officials she should have gone through what they would
call the chain of command but when a life is at stake you do what you
have to do. I would have done the same thing. It is excellent that
people are becoming so aware of allergies. We do have to keep educating
them so that they know the difference between an allergy and anaphylaxis
though. Alot of people who have no allergies in their families don't
even know what anaphylaxis is. We have a milk-free classroom in my
daughters grade 1 class. If milk or milk product is brought into the
class it is sent home with the child uneaten. Because of this strict
training we have one class of very smart educated 7 year olds that are
beginning to tell what is a name for milk and what is not.

Education is the rule. It is interesting to hear everyones opinions on
this list...we all help to educate eachother.

Hazel Green