NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 1998 11:52:45 -0700

> Daughter has severe reflux , not sure why! >>

My daughter had terrible reflux as a baby.  It eased up a bit when she
was about 8 months or so.  We had her on 2 meds for it.  The suspicion
was that it was mostly due to the food allergies.  She would vomit entire
feedings on me in the middle of nursing.  This mostly happened in the
morning when her stomach was empty and I had eaten something the night
before that triggered the allergy.  This process actually helped pin some
down.  She was a real spitter from the beginning and it was really
obvious when I ate something she reacted to.  She spit up all day long
sometimes.  It was definitely dose dependent and the dilution in her
stomach played a big part on how fast and violently she reacted.
Chocolate seemed to be the worst with dairy second.

More recently, the allergist has begun to suspect that mucus from inhaled
allergies may be causing some of the problems.  The mucus mixes with the
stomach acid and causes the reflux.  She was also rubbing/picking her
nose and ears probably because they itched.  We have her on Nasalcrom and
it seems to be helping tremendously as far as the nose picking goes.  She
used to have things bleeding it got so bad.  She also has not spit up to
my knowlege since we started.

There can be lots of reasons for reflux.
Kathy P.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]