NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elizabeth Inches <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 20:54:53 -0800
M. Steiner wrote:

>   I have always be wary for some reason about tofu.   I get the same kind of reaction that I
> get with milk, which is very strong gastrointestinal problems, with strong
> pain, gas and diarrhea, also caused by eating tofu.

I have the same experience with any soy product. I recently saw a gastro
dr here in Houston who finally shed some light on the problem. Soybeans
and by products contain an amino acid called tyramine.  Tyramine is an
excitatory neurotransmitter. People who take MAOI anti-depressants
should not ingest foods/drinks with tyramine as it can cause
hypertensive reactions. Also, people with Irritable Bowel Syndrome
(a catch-all diagnosis for a problem in the bowel, like endo, lupus,
allergies, etc.), should avoid tyramine, because it causes the
neurtransmitters in the gut to begin "firing off" signals. This causes
the gut to get "excited"--spasms, mini seizures, cramping, bloating,
gas, diarrhea. Caffeine can do the same thing. I have found that the
biggest offender for me is any soy product-- soy sauce, tofu, lecithin,
etc. My doctor gave me a list of foods to avoid, and I found this URL on
tyramine as it relates to MAO Inhibitors, but it's a good list to get a
basic lesson in tyramine.

http://deoxy.org/maoidiet.htm

Hope this helps.

Elizabeth