NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Twogood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 07:44:52 -0800
Martin Finne wrote:

> > >Not only that, but even some very groovy vegetarian type ones (without
> MSG) do have hydrolized >vegetable protein, which contains casein.
> Gluten and casein are as I understand it almost identical proteins.

Not true. Hydrolyzed vegetable protein contains MSG (5-20%) but contains
no casein--it's vegetable protein, not animal protein. Sometimes foods
will contain hydrolyzed casein, like some canned tuna. Any protein, when
hydrolyzed, produces MSG. And gluten and casein are different, although
some, including me, believe that a tendency for one intolerance may lead
to the other.

Daniel A. Twogood, D.C.