NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 18:50:02 -0400
Hi -

In my school there is no nurse, just a "health tech" who is not empowered
to make "decisions".  This means that, if my son thinks he's been
exposed to his allergen they will ALWAYS treat it the way the doctor
orders.  In this case, even if he has no symptoms, or if he only has the
minor mouth tingling that he typically gets from cross-contamination,
they'll administer the epi-pen and call 9-1-1.

At home we've never needed the epi-pen, although we've occasionally had
to use benadryl.  And I'm nervous about using the epi-pen when it's not
needed.  They won't let me say IF there's actual ingestion, or IF he
develops breathing difficulties, THEN use the epi-pen, otherwise just
administer benadryl.  This "if" statement is not an option.

So my question is, what is the down side of using an epi-pen when it's
not actually needed?  How dangerous is it?  My son is 6, in first grade,
if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your thoughts,
--Beth Kevles
  Disclaimer:  Nothing in this message should be construed as medical
  advice.  Please consult with your own medical practicioner.