NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ROGER MYERS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 1997 12:56:58 -0400
Hi Everyone,

Often bottles of juice list as ingredients juice concentrates
such as apple juice concentrate, cherry juice concentrate, etc.
Are these concentrates just the juice evaporated or is this one of the
cases where companies can hide ingredients by having the concentrate
contain its own list of ingredients which are not listed?

For example almost all cans of frozen juices list corn syrup as their
first ingredient. Perhaps then the apple juice concentrate listed
on a bottle of Northland juice could contain corn syrup?
Is there a source for learning how to read food labels? (Book, WWW, list)

We were reading the ingredients of the various juices from Northland.
They all state on the label that they are 100% juice. However; they
list various juice concentrates, water, natural flavor, and so on.
How should I interpret this?
Does this mean that the natural flavor is also a juice or perhaps
the company can claim 100% juice if it really is only 99.99% juice?
Maybe the company means that the juice is 100% juice and everything
else can be other things? (smile)
If 100% juice is on the label then I would have expected to only
see juices listed as ingredients.
This label reading is extremely confusing to me! How about you?

Also, does Coke Classic contain milk? It lists caramel coloring.
Can caramel coloring or flavor contain citric acid?

Another thing:
Even if an item sold at a fastfood store or resteraunt does not list
a milk-related ingredient it does not mean that it has none.
Sometimes humans make mistakes or are sloppy and accidents also occur.
A waitress might put diet coke into a glass instead of the Coke
Classic you ordered. A sandwich which is not to have mayonaise might
be made with it by a poorly trained worker or by misstake.
So, if you are extremely allergic to a food then probably it is best to
avoid fastfood and resteraunts unless you can supervise the
preparation of your food. This is my opinion. - YMMV

Roger
[log in to unmask] - Roger Myers