NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Colleen Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 12:58:20 -0500
Susan,
I have to strongly disagree with your point.  I am a certified registered
nurse practitioner.  I have a bachelors degree in nursing as well as a
masters degree.  I am certified to practice medicine and have been doing so
for 6 years.  I resent the fact that you would minimize my career to being
nothing but a prostitute for the pharmaceutical industry.  There is a
definite physiological difference between dairy allergy and lactose
intolerance.  One involves proteins, the immune system and histamine while
the other involves lack  of ability to digest milk sugar.  It is very
disrespectful of others to assume, just because you don't understand the
facts, that medicine is a conspiracy.  That reduces all of who either suffer
illness or treat illness to virtually no hope of being able to receive
treatment or to provide treatment for ailments.  And to even suggest that
health care providers receive money for prescribing medication--that is the
most ridiculous notion I have ever heard.  I don't understand where the
public gets this information.  Pharmaceutical companies will pay a physician
or nurse practiioner for developing an educational program and presenting
physiologic, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic informaiton to other health
care provders for the purpose of education only.  However, as providers and
prescribers, we do not receive money for prescribing medication.  If that
were true, I wouln't be wasting my time sending this e-mail, I would be on a
beach somewhere sipping my favorite mixed drink (without milk in it, of
course).
Colleen Barrett, MSN, CRNP

>From: Susan Gallant <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: milk-free chocolate chip, also varieties of allergic reaction
>Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 23:36:34 -0800
>
>It's interesting that you mention the intolerance. I can't help but suspect
>it's the same as allergies even though a lot of people think they're two
>different things. I think it's because doctors insist they are two
>different things, but an allergy is a negative reaction to something right?
>Your body cannot "tolerate" what has been ingested because it senses
>something not right or is not able to handle what is there. That's just my
>observation. I know some would disagree with me on that and I suppose
>everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it just amazes me how the
>medical field rewords everything so they can have liscence to charge
>patients for a medicine on the market because something has been given a
>medical label for a condition. They get bonus points from pharmacutical
>companies for doing so too.
>     Sorry, I'm going on a tangeant again. Anywyas, I've never heard of
>anyone being in agony from consuming dairy. I'm sure it's out there but
>you're the first person I've heard say anything like that. We have the
>common symptoms in our family like congestion, asthma, sometimes migrains,
>bedwetting on our girls' part, etc., and one of our city bus drivers said
>he gets stomach cramps from it. What kind of agony do you experience? I
>guess I'm just more curious than anything. Sue

>Need Mail bonding?
>Go to the Yahoo! Mail Q&A for great tips from Yahoo! Answers users.

From predictions to trailers, check out the MSN Entertainment Guide to the
Academy Awards®
http://movies.msn.com/movies/oscars2007/?icid=ncoscartagline1