NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 25 May 1997 11:04:47 -0500
>Do you have a tip on something besides butter in mash potatoes??  I >miss
them so much, i know Jay would love them if I could find something >for
besides butter.

>Thanks,
>Lila

I mainly just use water with spices OR sometimes I make mashed spuds with
Rice Dream and spices (onion, garlic, salt, and cayenne are my favorite
combo but your son might not like the cayenne).  Most imitation bacon bits
(read the label to be sure) are made from soy if you are looking for a
meatless topping alternative (but they are typically full of garbage
chemicals too).  Chives also make a great topper. A mock sour-cream can be
made from tofu and lemon juice if you wish to.  I've never missed the butter
so I haven't used oil as a replacement--but there is no reason why a someone
couldn't use a bit of their favorite oil too.  If you can find an instant
mashed potato that doesn't contain milk (I've heard most of them do) you can
make them entirely with water and still achieve a creamy texture by simply
experimenting with the amount of water you add (a bit more than what is
called for in the standard recipe)--vegetable broth is also another way to
add more flavor.