NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Marcotte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 23:25:02 -0400
I can't speak for US labelling laws (I'm a Canadian) but I have noticed
Casein in non-dairy products up here (cheese slices). However, I don't
react to casein but I am allergic to whey proteins where, I am told, the
lactose resides. Up here, Lactose Free is normally used to describe a
product with no whey proteins. I did find casein in some products that I
never even considered as having any milk components (the afore-mentioned
soy slices and some non-dairy cheese).

Medications frequently have lactose as a filler. I found that out the hard
way. I started reacting to something I had eaten and realized that the only
possible source was my meds. Talked to my Doc and he confirmed it and
prescribed something different.

Don M