NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2006 01:26:00 -0800
WOw, that's the first time i heard of someone having stomach reactions to milk but anything is possible when you have an allergy to something. I notice when I have my asthma coughs or my girls get real congested(My older one wheezes too if she gets too much dairy.)that there is something with dairy I had that I didn't pay attention to and was then paying the price. It's amazing how many things actually have dairy in them. I know not everyone eats the same way I do, but I am a vegetarian and have used the vegie meats on the market(Some taste better than others depending on the brand and the product itself.)and have discovered that some of them do have dairy and egg properties as well as yeast, which I am sensitive to all three. My husband feels a greater need to have it around the house than i do as he is more of a meat person and that has been our fair compromise I guess, as I don't really feel the need to have it that often, but I do try to watch which ones I get when i'm
 the one doing shopping because I know how it affects me and the girls if I grab the wrong one. As much as I like Morning Star FArms products, a lot of their vegie meats have those allergy warnings printed in the little box at the bottom. At least they do warn you which is more than i can say for a lot of other companies out there, but it is still very frustrating.
     If your doctor isn't very helpful, as it sounds like she's just wasting your time and money, is there a doctor who practices natural medicine around where you live? They aren't usually widely advertised, but sometimes if you check health food stores they might know of someone. They're more in tune with how diet affects you, whereas the medical field today is geared more towards pills and surgery. It isn't like it was when we and our parents were growing up. The medical field has really changed. One of my friend's hs a father who was a doctor and retired early for that very reason and said he left because you can't be a doctor anymore. When i lived in Cleveland, ohio I found a natural doctor through a health food store that I went to and when I lived in Mt. Vernon, Ohio I found an Amish doctor in Butler about 20 minutes away. They were a lot more helpful to me than the regular doctors and the one in Cleveland was the one who said i had a dairy allergy. My medical doctor
 was a very kind person and was trying to help me in the way he knew how, but again that field is more pills and surgery.(which is fine in emergency cases or everything else you've tried hasen't worked) I went in saying I had sinus congestion but no cold and had tried everything I could think of to get rid of it. He gave me an antibiotic, which cleared me up but my sinuses became so dry that they actually hurt. Then when the medicine wore off the congestion came right back again. Then I found out about the natural doctor and he said I was allergic to dairy. Unfortunately most insurances won't cover it except for 4 states in the U.S.(0ne being Arizona, at least back then) but in the long run you'll be a lot healthier and so will your family. If dairy is what is making her stomach hurt they can very likely figure that out and if it isn't they're usually pretty good about helping to investigate what is really causing the problem. There are also natural clinics around the
 country too that you could look into. Some chiropractors are also very natural depending on what kind of chiropractor they are. Yo have to really ask questions when you call them to find out if they are into using natural remedies or if they are just into adjustments. They have different titles depending on what they do. My chiropractor gave me an upper respiratory adjustment when I was recovering from bronchitis and was also having astma attacks and my breathing cleared right up. She also adjusted my ears when they were full of fluid and did the same for our younger daughter when she was getting a lot of earaches as a baby because they would get full of fluid and also showed us how to do it gently to help her as this was something that was happenig a lot with her when ever she was teething.
     I've also found that not only do certain OYC medicines have some type of dairy properties in them but so do some that you find in the health food store for colds and flu. I was so shocked when i read that on the label. I don't know why the companies feel the need to use that in their products, but medicines are definately another thing to really read labels.
     Sorry this email is a long one, but I want to mention anything I can that might be helpful. I lknow it's scairy to not know what's happening with your own child. If you want to email me personally my address is [log in to unmask] and if not that's o.k. too, but it's there if you are interested. Sue

Holly Stillwagon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Is that a loaded question?
I joined the list in early March. Read some of the archived posts, but I'=
m=20
still stumped on this.
My DD, 4 y.o., was dx'd w. milk allergy.=20
I have been vigilant since Nov., but she is STILL having bad tummy aches=20=

almost all day every day.
The P.A. that she saw last week for croup suggested it was "so she can=20=

stay with Mom and not go to school". I wanted to slap her. I know the fak=
e=20
from the real. BTW, less than 24 hrs later my dd was done with the flu.=20=

Yeah, fake, right.
Anyway, I am at my wit's end. Am I missing hidden milk? Am I missing=20
something on a label that is milk, but I don't know? I watch for casein,=20=

whey, nat. or art. butter flavor, anything with "lac" in the name, etc.
Is she allergic to something else? I don't know where to start.=20
I would really appreciate some words of wisdom. :-)
Thanks!
Hooly in MI