NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nancy Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2003 10:18:58 -0400
Hi :)  My son is allergic to milk, soy, egg, fish, and I am pregnant.  The docs have advised that during the 3rd trimester I strictly avoid all nuts, fish and milk products.  Also, I plan to breastfeed so I will keep that same diet during breastfeeding.  I was going to see a dietician but my insurance company is giving me a hard time, so I am going to try to do it on my own and just keep careful attention to be sure I get the correct nutrition (for pregnant/lactating women).  I will begin taking calcium supplements, and will drink calcium fortified rice milk and OJ.  I just need some help brainstorming on meal ideas.  I do this on a daily basis with my son so it shouldn't be so hard, but he is on formula so I worry less about his nutritional needs than I will need to for myself.  Can you please help me out with some ideas for meals......here's what I have come up with:

Any "safe" cereal w/ rice milk
All fruits and veggies
Safe homemade muffins (banana, apple, pumpkin, blueberry etc)
Safe pancakes (I need a good recipe!!!)
Safe French toast (is there such a  thing)

Safe luncheon meats
Safe bread
Mayo (it has eggs but I am not, at this time, avoiding that)
Eggs (but I wont have them out as I don't trust x-contam issues)

Freshly made safe meats and chicken
rice
pasta

Does anyone use Rich's non dairy creamer?  I know it is supposed to be parve.....is it good?  What do you use it for?  Coffee??  Drinking?? Cereals?? Cooking??

How about Vance's Dairy Free??

Just trying to get ideas.....Tyler isn't the best eater and he doesn't know any better on tasty foods, so I haven't worried as much with him....I do know better and my tastebuds are more discerning then his (LOL) so any truly delicious suggestions are much welcomed.  Also, Tyler is egg and soy free, which I am not doing, so I can have a bit of a more varied diet then he can, so I want to make sure I don't OVER-avoid stuff too!!  I will basically eat his diet, but I know his diet isn't nutritionally adequate for me, a pregnant woman, who isn't on special formula like he is...

I also would love ideas on what I can take to he hospital for delivery to ensure that I have safe foods....I plan to take the individual boxes of rice dream, and have my hubby bring me safe muffins (I will make ahead and freeze) as well as safe cereals, if they are not available at the hospital (I will probably get the individual serving size boxes of cheerios or raisin bran or something).

Thanks for any and all suggestions.....I want to do this right but also not skimp on nutrition for me or the baby!!

Thanks again!!

Nancy

Nancy

"My  SONS are my greatest accomplishment and the opportunity to raise THEM is my greatest challenge"