NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
EngJrnTchr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 15:26:52 -0500
I thought I'd pass this along.  I subscribe to the
Soyfoods e-mail monthly newsletter.  They include
recipes for using soybean products, including
soymilk.  These looked especially interesting:

Enjoy,
Deborah

<<<Permission is granted to reprint this
information, as long as credit is given to the
Indiana Soybean Board <http://indianasoybeanboard.com>>>

GREAT TASTING SOYFOOD RECIPES

Of the more than 30 soyfood products on the
market, tofu, soymilk, soy
flour and soynuts are some of the most readily
available and easy to
prepare, says Kim Galeaz, R.D., a nutrition
consultant for the Indiana
Soybean Board. Here are some of Galeaz's favorite
soyfood recipes.

Henry Ford Chocolate Chip Soynut Cookies
3 cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
2 cups vegetable shortening or margarine
4 large eggs
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup soy flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbs vanilla soymilk
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups roasted soynuts, coarsely chopped
4 cups semi-sweet chocolate morsels

Preheat oven to 3750 F. Beat shortening and sugar
in a large bowl. Add
eggs one at a time, beating well after each
addition. Mix in baking soda,
salt and soy flour. Add all purpose flour
gradually along with soymilk and vanilla. Stir in
soynuts and chocolate morsels. Drop by rounded
teaspoons onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 8
- 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 1 minute
and remove to wire rack to cool completely.

Yield: 12 dozen cookies (this is a double batch).
Serving size: 1 cookie. Per cookie: 83 calories, 4
g fat, .5 g saturated fat, 1 g protein, 10 g
carbohydrate, 6 mg cholesterol, 73 mg sodium.

Bar Cookie Version for Henry Ford Chocolate Chip
Soynut Cookies
Prepare dough as above. Spread into two greased 15
x 10-inch jelly-roll
pans. Bake in preheated 3750 F oven for 20 - 25
minutes or until golden
brown. Cool in pan on wire rack before cutting.
Cut into 36 bars. Nutrition facts per bar will be
double one drop cookie.

Apple Cinnamon Bread (Bread Machine)
3 cups bread flour
1/3 cup soy flour
3 Tbs sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbs margarine
2/3 cup oatmeal
1 cup chopped apple, skin left on
3/4 cup vanilla soymilk
1/2 cup apple juice
2 tsp yeast

Add ingredients to bread machine according to
manufacturer's directions.

Yield: 1 1/2 pound loaf. Serving size: 1 slice
(loaf cut into 16 slices). Per serving: 152
calories, 2 g fat, .3 g sat fat, 5 g protein, 28 g
carbohydrate, 254 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol.