NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Weavre Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 2009 14:25:43 -0400
RE: "apples coated in milk protein"

Has anyone else heard about this? It's been awhile since I had an
apple--usually get them in fall at the local farmers' market, but not so
much otherwise--but this would be horrible for me if it's being done! Does
anyone else have any information?

RE: "No more Chinese buffets for us."

I don't usually do buffets, because of customer cross-contamination at the
serving line, but I love Chinese food! It's the least worrisome kind of
restaurant for me, as I only have a dairy allergy; a great many people of
Asian descent are lactose intolerant, and traditional cuisine away from
Mongolia and French influence doesn't use dairy at all. One catch, of
course--don't get anything that's deep-fried unless (1) it's from a
restaurant with NO dairy in ANYTHING, or (2) the kitchen manager confirms
that the frying oil is fresh (not recycled from other vats) and not used for
anything containing dairy. (If the kitchen manager seems in the least bit
confused or surprised by your questions, skip the fried food anyway.) Many
fast-food french fries have dairy on them as part of the "seasoning", btw,
including ones that don't appear to be seasoned. (Fast food in general is
pretty scary, actually; I'm safer in places where the kitchen staff are more
professional.)

Another note about buffets: By talking with the staff, you can always order
the buffet and then ask for specific safe items from it to be plated for you
in the kitchen, by someone who understands how to avoid cross-contamination.
I don't get food directly from buffet lines, but I do sometimes order a
buffet that way. Any restaurant dining requires extensive conversation, but
I do it anyway because my family enjoys eating out when we can. (Not all
that often--maybe once a month or less--but I don't want to give it up!)

YMMV ... happy eating!
Weavre Cooper