NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
EngJrnTchr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 20:50:14 -0600
Friends,

While I do not know the exact chemical make-up of
colostrum in cow's milk let me insert a bit of
hands on experience, LITERALLY, to explain the
hazards here.

We raise beef cattle.  We have between 15 and 25
new baby calves nursing spring and fall.  Beef
cattle are basically the same as dairy cattle;
they both have different strengths, but function
in the same manner.

When a cow has a calf it does produce colostrum
for a few days before producing full-fledged
milk.  The problem is this:  you never know when
an individual cow is going to stop producing
colostrum and start making milk.  At one point the
udder/teats releases a mixture.  Colostrum is
yellow.  It looks like the color of egg yolks,
sort of.  After a day or so, some cows produce a
milk/colostrum mixture.  As time passes the
mixture turns color and soon becomes just milk.

Sometimes we have to bottle feed a calf.  When we
do so, we often get colostrum from our neighbor's
Holsteins (They freeze some and are extremely
careful about bottling separate from other milk.
They don't even milk with a machine, at the same
time as others, etc.  They are careful due to
bacterial issues.)  That's how I know it is mixed,
depending on when it was produced.  We also have
purchased powdered colostrum.  The package lists
cow's milk as an ingredient.

My warning is this:  I don't think you can be
assured that a colostrum product is totally safe
or milk free.

We do not allow our anaphylactic cow's milk
allergic daughter to touch a bottle, help feed, or
touch the nose of a nursing calf.  We have never
had a problem.  I would not feel comfortable in
suggesting such a person use this product.  It
sounds like highly risky activity to me.

BTW, why are you ingesting colostrum from a cow
anyway?  Just curious!!!

Good luck,
Deborah