NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 29 May 1997 22:21:34 -0500
At 10:23 AM 5/29/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I was just trying to point out that in his case that although the small
>amount of milk taken internally seems to cause no reaction a small bite of
>a cheese cracker (he got hold of over a year ago) did cause a reaction.
>
>Rachele Shaw

That is a good point that it doesn't really mean much if they do or don't
have an obvious reaction to accidentally consuming something...if they are
allergic, something is still going on regardless if there are obvious
symptoms or not!  I just wanted to add, since I'm now an adult and have been
dairy protein allergic from childhood, that most children don't have the
awareness or the vocabulary to express the fact they are having INTERNAL
symptoms that parents may not even been aware of. I know that was the case
in my childhood.  I was aware I wasn't feeling well, but I didn't know what
to associate those feelings with until I was MUCH older....and I wasn't
articulate enough to express my internal symptoms well enough to be of much
help to doctor's or my parents.  Don't be fooled--if your child is allergic
to dairy protein and consumes even accidental trace amounts: there is a
reaction--if you can see it (hives, breathing troubles, etc.) or not (the
"internal warfare," etc.) it is happening (spoken from personal experience).