NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 09:11:36 -0600
Hi -

I need to second Kathy's comment about the skin prick test vs. the blood
test for allergies.  My daughter, Alyssa, had a skin prick test for foods
when she was 9 months old.  It was much much less traumatic than the blood
draws that she had (for other reasons).  And, at least in her case, it was
very accurate.  Even to the level that the severity of her reaction matched
the relative size of the wheals.

We've not done a RAST test, and probably won't, unless further allergies are
suspected for some reason.  The skill of the practioner may be a big factor in
how it goes.  The skin prick test was done at a pediatric allergist's
office with a very skilled nurse.  3 seconds is about right...

Laurie

:> RoseBoccio <[log in to unmask]>
:
: I don't know everything there is to know about testing, but I can tell you
: from experience as well as research I've done, that skin testing is not
: conclusive on children younger than a certain age (I'm not sure about the age,
: but I think it's 7. Anybody?)

:> Kathy Crankshaw <[log in to unmask]>
: BTW-the skin prick test was much LESS stressful than the blood draw
: for the RAST.  The nurses were great and three nurses did 30 pricks (5
: in each hand) simulataneously so we only had about 3 seconds of
: trauma.  Fortunately, we have a world class pediatric institution
: (Stanford Packer Hospital) in our neighborhood.
: