NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 23:09:38 -0400
Nancy Weir wrote:

>Don Wiss wrote:
>> Our ancestors drank no dairy and had no osteoporosis.
>
>I think what worries me is that many stone age people didn't
>live much past 35 or 40.

Most didn't live past those ages as they died of accidents, infectious
diseases, and as food for another animal. But all evidence is those that
made it past these perils lived to a ripe old age without the problems that
are known as diseases of civilization.

Earlier in this century there were still hunter/gatherer societies. They
were studied, especially by Dr. Weston Price, who published the book
"Nutrition and Physical Degeneration", 1938. He found these peoples free of
civilizatory diseases as long as they maintained their native diet. And
they lived to ripe old ages.

There are a few hunter/gatherer societies still remaining. You can read
about the people on the island of Kitava at:

  http://www.panix.com/~paleodiet/lindeberg/

>  My grandmothers broke their hips
>at ages 85 and 99 respectively and perhaps calcium pills
>will help build up my bones enough to last well after
>menopause (if I should live so long).

Perhaps the pills will help, but be sure to get magnesium and vitamin D
with it. A study of our ancestor's diet estimates a 1:1 ratio of Ca:Mg. And
vitamin D is especially an issue during the winter if you live in the north.

Even better is to pay attention to the list of things in my prior post.
Especially avoid the bran.

Don.