NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sandr Sheeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:56:22 -0500
I kept my son on formula (from a cup) until he was 2 to ensure that he was
getting the appropriate nutrients and fat.  From what I understand, fat
consumption is essential for young children because it is necessary for
healthy development of the brain and other tissues.  This is why doctors
recommend that children be weaned to whole milk instead of skim milk.  By
the time they are school age you can usually have them on skim milk.  I felt
like the restrictions of a dairy-free diet greatly reduced the fat in my
son's diet.  Since he couldn't have cheese, milk, ice cream, or many of the
sauces that we Americans typically get our abundance of fat from I was
concerned about his fat intake.  I also went with enriched soy milk after
the formula for the same reason.  Rice milk tends to be fat free or low fat.
But you said that soy is also a problem for you.  You may have to
concentrate on other sources of fat, such as higher fat meats and adding oil
or safe margarine to vegetables, etc.  Good luck.

Sandy

> Riley needs dairy free milk with fat because he has major sensory issues
and
> can only tolerate a few textures and flavors. He will not drink juices of
any
> kind, nor water. occasionally, we can get him to drink the plain
pedialyte,
> if we add a little milk to it for color. so, he needs all of the fat he
can
> get, from every source. he is very skinny(25th percentile), for his height
> (60th percentile), and is such a picky eater. hope this explains why we
are
> looking for dairy free without fat, and thanks for all of the help!
brandy