NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Roberta Schultze <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 3 May 1997 18:59:16 -0700
Pete wrote:

> Has anyone had trouble with prescription medications containing hidden
> lactose as a binder come filler?
> I am milk protein allergic but I exhibit only symptoms of intolerance when
> it comes to lactose. (I was in a double blind drug trial where I was taking
> a daily tablet which was later revealed to be a lactose based placebo.) The
> lactose caused the classic symptom of excessive flatulence but without the
> usual severe allergic reaction.
> I have since had trouble locating information on which medications contain
> lactose as there doesn't seem to be a requirement to list lactose as an
> *active* ingredient of drugs in the reference books used by my medical
> provider.
>
> Thanks
> Pete Beard
> Melbourne Australia
Yes, I have in the past, had problems with lactose in medicines.  In the
US now, over-the-counter drugs have inactive ingrediants listed now
(yeah!), which has helped me greatly.  If I know a medicine has lactose
in it I simple take some lactase enzyme tablets with them which solves
the problem.  (I really suffer when ingesting lactose...you DON'T want
to know the details.)  A very common lactase marketed in the US is
lactaid (I'm sure that they must have a website), but it's becoming more
common to find generic, less-expensive, lactase in liquid or tablet
form.  The number of tablets, or the drops of liquid you take depends
upon your degree of lactase deficiency.