NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Daniel Twogood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 08:11:14 -0800
Ron Hoggan wrote:

> The addiction is real, and can result from the pepsin digests of milk or wheat.
>
> Exactly. The mechanism where milk protein causes headaches, or back pain, or bed wetting, or ADD, is commonly called allergy....and it is.
However, the technically correct term for the phenomenon is
allergy-addiction. Quitting a substance like dairy, or caffeine, or
nicotine, etc. is difficult because of the addiction phase. Take the
example of a coffee drinker. If reguklar coffee drinker quits cold
turkey, she will most likely experience caffeine withdrawal. She may feel
tired, out of sorts, and have a headaceh for a few days, up to a week or
more sometimes. The body knows about withdrawal, and hates it. One of the
common withdrawal symptoms is craving---alcoholics and heroin addicts can
tell you all about it. So can many people who quit dairy foods.

There are only two ways out of the withdrawal phase---ride it out (it
takes about a week or so with ingested substances) or end it immediately
with a "fix" of whatever it is you quit. That fix is called a
neutralizing dose. The severe alcoholic often wakes up in the am with a
hangover, due to alcohol toxicity and the beginning of withdrawal. He can
feel lousy all day, or he can end the misery (temporarily) with an "eye
opener."

Dairy users who quit (almost always my advice for musculoskeletal
conditions) will often get a craving for cheese, or milk, or whatever,
until they havew abstained for a long enough time (usually 30 to 60 days
in my experience).

PS. I'm not really nasty. I just wanted more banter.

DT