NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 19:27:43 -0600
I've recently run across several recipes that call for the addition of a
package of dried onion soup mix. I personally want to avoid the MSG that is
in the soup mix but I've also noticed in my area all of the soup mixes have
whey or casein in them (not to mention some of them are beef based as well
which is an additional no-no for me). Does any one know of a commercially
available completely vegetable based soup mix without MSG or dairy? Does any
one have a good homemade substitute for the packaged mix? Soup mix has a far
more intense flavor than even caramelized onions have.  I've perfected
making vegetarian onion soup but it would take days to reduce it down enough
to compact that much flavor and to produce a dry mix! :) Any ideas?