NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 15:40:25 -0700
I just wanted to add regarding the RAST tests our own experiences with it
on my 2 1/2 year old who had first one at about 18 months.  It was very
good for pinpointing the range of foods and for giving a relative scale of
effect-- we then tested the lower ones by eating/elimination to make sure
they were "true" positives, some were not.

Also with RAST you can have the airborne sensitivities done to see how
much your system has reacted to dust mites, molds etc. Sometimes if you
lower the airborne load you can get the overall reactivity to go down we
have found.

I found the one RAST stick non-traumatic in that with one needle (even if
it is more than one tube) they can test for dozens of foods.  There was a
NOTEABLE difference though between the Children's Hospital phlebotomist
and the regular lab person.  Get a pediatric one if possible-they are good
with small veins.

Sometimes they can keep the blood until the first set of results comes
back.  With my son, we went on to test the other gluten grains (on the
previous blood sample) when wheat came back positive.  We could check
related foods this way and find out some alternatives.  He does not now
hate the allergist or doctors in general although of course he is still
a little scared about "tests".  I really think that being held down as
many have described for the scratch or even patch tests would have been
far worse (and inaccurate in many cases!)

A good thing the RAST can do also is an overall IgE level to test how
reactive overall you are -- this is a good indicator that you need to
avoid allergenic foods and to rotate commonly eaten foods because if high,
it means that your body tends to develop IgE against whatever it is over-
exposed to (I am simplifying of course so please ask the dr. for details)

I would avoid peanuts anyway for kids.  My son ate peanut butter three
times with increasing mucous, itchiness, then started to vomit violently
-- he only needed to eat a tiny bit a few times to become fully allergic.

Please be careful with peanuts--the reaction can be swift and unexpected.
Talk to your doctor about an Epi-Pen to keep for emergencies--my
pediatrician  gave us this right away just on anecdotal evidence of his
allergies.

Good luck.
Susan