NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gail Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Nov 2001 21:13:55 -0600
I don't know if it's available online, but the best substitute I've found
for "cheese" slices is Tofutti brand.  They come in American, Mozzarella and
maybe a few other flavours.  We purchase them at our local health food
store.  They melt like regular cheese and have the same consistency as dairy
cheese slices (for the most part) so they are fabulous for grilled cheese
sandwiches too.  My 4 year old son just prefers to eat them plain, though.
In my opinion, the cheese does have a strong "butter popcorn" odor.  I
personally find this offensive but my son loves it.  Maybe I'm just strange.
The price is just a bit higher (not much) than regular cheese slices.  We
pay about $2.50-3.00 US for 16 slices.

I have used the mozzarella slices to make little mini pizzas.  My son
doesn't care for them, but I thought they turned out fine.  I heard that
Tofutti also makes some pre-shredded cheese for cooking, sprinkling on
tacos, pizza and such, but I haven't been able to find them yet.

We used to use Soy Singles, I think they might also be called Vegan Slices
or something like that.  Ugggh, this used to be our only option.  That stuff
always turned brown and rubbery.  It didn't melt at all.  It took on this
really nasty pasty consistency.  Thank goodness we found the Tofutti.

Good luck!

Gail