NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynda Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 19:23:59 EDT
My son has also experienced anaphylaxis to both ragweed and milk (separate
incidents, of course!) plus he has asthma that requires steroids several
times a year.  Like you, I have found the anaphylaxis experiences very
terrifying and have been willing to try anything that may have a chance of
working.

I started taking my son for NAET treatments in February.  NAET is a process
--what I mean by this is that there is no "quick fix" for any allergies--so
if you want to consider NAET you will have to think about committing to
treatments for at least six to nine months or more.  Traditionally, NAET
requires evaluation and treatment, if necessary for ten different kinds of
foods-- then after that point, the practitioner can vary the protocol
according to the specific allergies of the patient.  We started in February
with weekly visits for the basic ten, then have been doing environmental
stuff since then--pollens and molds due to his spring allergies and asthma.
We haven't really begun to work on milk yet.  From what I have heard, milk
can be one of the tougher ones because of its many components and different
proteins.

NAET is very non-traditional, but since it requires only acupressure, not
acupuncture, no drugs, no invasive procedures, I have felt it is worth a try.
 So far, I have found my son's environmental allergies and asthma to be under
the best control in years while undergoing these treatments.  I do not expect
to be able to serve my son milk products nor do I plan to challenge him at
home even if his acupuncture doc tells me he is cleared.  I have asked his
regular board certified pediatric allergist to do a baseline CAP RAST (a new
test more sensitive than a RAST) to get a baseline now and then do follow up
at some point in the future to see if his CAP RAST values are dropping.  Only
if his allergist recommends a food challenge to milk will I consider doing
one--in a clinical setting of course, not at home.

If you need to find a practitioner, you can go to the NAET website at
www.naet.com and search for a practitioner in your area.  Some chiropractors
and acupuncturists are trained in NAET but not all are.

If you have any questions about NAET that may be "off-topic" for the list,
you can e-mail me.

Lynda