NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 13:51:42 -0400
From:    Bev Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Gluten Free Dairy-free Oreo Cookies
Dear Listies:
My daughter was devastated when she was diagnosed at age 7 and realized she would never be able to eat another Oreo cookie again.  She cried bitterly for 30 minutes and I vowed then that I would find a substitute.  The fact that she didn't even like Oreos was not the point.  It was that she couldn't have them.  So my mission for the past 3 years was to come up with a delicious gluten free version.  In my quest, I was thrilled to find the Glutano sandwich cookies.  The problem was they contain dairy products and my daughter is also dairy intolerant.  The recipe below is what I finally came up with.  I served them to her classmates at school and they went wild.  They couldn't believe they were Pam's "special" cookies.  I think they thought that her food was yucky tasting and she just had to put up with it.

Here is what I do.  For the cookies, I use Miss Roben's crunchy chocolate sugar cookie mix.  After making the dough, I use a stainless steel cookie scoop (about 1 teaspoon size - it looks like a mini-ice cream scooper) to make the cookies and flatten the balls of dough with a greased juice glass before I bake them.  That way they come out perfectly even in size and make great sandwich cookies.  For the filling I use Crisco shortening and powdered sugar.  Make sure they are gf before using. Some powdered sugar has corn starch in it to keep it from clumping.  I use about 1 cup of Crisco and 4 cups powdered sugar.  Mix together in a mixer and scoop out a teaspoonful size scoop using the same stainless steel cookie scoop on each cookie.  Top with another cookie and enjoy!   I have no financial interest in any of the above mentioned companies.  Happy eating!

Warmly,
Bev Wahl