NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 14:08:59 -0800
Since we didn't have a typical Xmas dinner, I don't have tons of turkey
leftovers.  I really miss turkey soup w/ corn and rivels.  I needed a
nice hot stick to your ribs soup for everyone for lunch bc we all have
colds.  Here is what I came up with.  I'm thinking of it as just sort of
a base and can think of lots of variations.  It's dairy, corn, soy, egg,
and gluten free.

Kathy

(Alyssa 3/15/97 - dairy, egg, corn, grape, unidentified EA's;
 Thomas 5/30/99 - dairy, egg, corn, grape, wheat/gluten, soy, citrus
(mostly orange), tomato, walnut)

Mock Creamy Potato & Bacon Soup

6 med potatoes, diced
1/4 c. minced onion
1/2 c. minced celery
1 clove minced garlic
1/4 lb. bacon, diced
4 c. rich chicken stock, cold
4 Tbsp potato starch
1/8 tsp dried thyme
salt & pepper to taste
dash hot sauce

Boil potatoes in lightly salted water until fork tender.  Drain and
return to pot.  Meanwhile, fry bacon until crisp.  Drain and reserve.  In
same pan, saute onion and celery in a little reserved bacon grease (or
oil or margarine) until tender.  Add bacon and veggie mixture to drained
potatoes.  Add thyme.  Whisk together stock and potato starch until well
combined.  This can be done in a shaker jar also.  Add to pot with
potatoes and bring to simmer over medium heat while stirring constantly.
Do not boil, but heat through.  Adjust seasonings.

Variations:

Potato & Leek - substitute sliced leeks for the onion and celery
Potato w/ ham & corn - saute the veggies in a little oil or margarine and
add diced ham and cooked corn
New England Clam Chowder - substitute clam broth or seafood stock and add
a can of chopped clams
Vegetarian - omit bacon, saute veggies in some oil or margarine, use
vegetable stock

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.