NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rita Doppenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 10:51:33 -0500
  I carry =
>an Epi-Pen Jr but have explicit instructions not to use it on my son
>except in a life and death situation.  Obviously if you are alone you
>have no choice but to use it on yourself when you feel the need.  It is
>my understanding, from my son's Pediatric Allergist that an Epi-Pen is
>not made to stop an allergic reaction, it is used as an adrenaline to
>keep your heart beating which the anaphylactic shock  stopped or may be
>stopping.  I have also had complete instructions not to use it on my son
>until he is at the unconscious stage.
Has anyone else had anyone tell them this?
>Thanks for sharing what it feels like.  No one has ever shared that info
>with me.  I haven't ever had to use it on my son....thank goodness, but
>it's nice to know what I should look for or expect.

Hi,

  I have been told and been doing the exact opposite of what you have been
told. I am under strict orders to use the epi-pen at the first sign of
reaction. No 2 anaphylactic reactions are the same. One child might swell
and get hives slowly like a "typical" reaction and the parent can distinctly
see that the child is in distress. On the other hand hives and swelling may
be occuring on the inside where the parent cant see it until its too late.
In my humble opinion if you wait until the child is unconscious you are
seriously risking being too late. I have been told numerous times by
numerous allergists including experts from The Hospital for Sick Children in
Toronto that the epi-pen will NOT start a stopped heart. It could happen in
seconds, once the reaction starts it could take mere seconds for the blood
pressure to bottom out and the child could merely die right there of Cardiac
Arrest. Also it is my understanding the epi-pen can do no harm to the child
if it is given un-necessarily. It is also used for acute asthma attacks.
Please, please talk again to your allergist, and get another opinion if
necessary. Read, do research but dont leave it there. I believe that you
could really be taking a big risk with waiting. If you would like, I have
some articles that address this issue in detail and I would be glad to send
them to you by regular mail and you could go to your allergist armed with
questions. Just let me know. Take Care.

Rita Doppenberg
A.S.K. Inc.
Allergic Specific Kids Inc