NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 10:11:39 -0700
> >I haven't been able to find something that holds stuff together like
eggs
> >do >for muffins or banana bread.  Everything turns out so crubly.  Do
you
> >have any >other suggestions?

I use the EnerG Foods Egg replacer directly in some of my recipes like
banana bread and find it works well with those and I find they are moist
and not crumbly.  Some things I've tried have come out really crunchy on
the outside and I don't care for that.  I find this is especially true if
I sub the soy milk and the eggs.

I do, however, have 2 other standard recipes that I use quite frequently.
 One is for an applesauce cake.  I've made no substitions on this except
to use margerine or Crisco instead of the butter.  I've used this for
birthday cakes.  It's a bit heavy, but not too bad.  It is more of a
spice cake, but goes well with buttercream icing.  It scupts and holds up
well since it's pretty moist.  I've used it for muffins too.

The other recipe I have is for a molasses cake.  It's a type of shoo-fly
pie if you are familiar with that - but it's a dry bottom one.  It can be
baked in a pie shell or made into cup cakes.  I like these bc they have
crumbs on top and do not require icing.  This one uses molasses, hot
water and baking soda for leavening.  Again, it's a moist cake so it's
not really crumbly.

Both of these have been posted before and should be in the archives.
I've posted my banana bread, orange cranberry bread, and I think a
pumpkin muffin which uses the EnerG foods egg replacer.  If you can not
find them, let me know and I'll see if I can dig up my copies.

Kathy P.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.