NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathy Wentz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Dec 1997 23:01:02 -0600
Cherie Moore wrote:

Re: puttling lactaid on Mom's nipples instead of expressing the milk

> Thanks Kathy-are you a Lactation Consultant? I love adding new info. for my
> Infant Nutriiton class! This is good to know!

Hi Cherie,

No, I'm just a Mom from the trenches.  :-D  I b-fed my boys and both are
reactive to milk.  Unfortunately when you are holding your firstborn and
he is covered with a rash that covers every square inch of his little
body, you do a lot of reading and very quickly.

I read about this first I believe in Jane Zukin's "Dairy Free Cookbook"
and then asked a friend and LC if this would work - and she said it
certainly would.  I, along with many other Moms I have met along life's
road have tried this along with removal of milk from Mom's diet (as it
takes 10-14 days to see definate results of removal) to see if they
could ease the symptoms.  Of course, we have all discovered it was the
milk proteins not the lactose that were causing the problems, after all,
human breastmilk has far more lactose than cow's milk and a baby
reacting to lactose truly would never have survived infancy (and
therefore would indeed be an extremely rare genetic abnormality).

I think, though, it should be recommended for Mom's to try the lactaid.
Why?  It gives them something positive to do in a time in their lives
when there really is nothing they can do except alter their diet - which
seems like it will take forever to work.  It should be explained to them
that the chances are very slim that it will make a difference, but to a
new Mom (full of conflicting hormones and fears about her now ill baby)
it is the very least she will want to do.  Sound strange?  Probably,
unless you've been there.

--
Kathy Wentz              I've never had a humble opinion in my life.
[log in to unmask]      If you're going to have one, why bother to