NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
matthew kinross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 14:03:45 GMT
> From: Marilyn <[log in to unmask]>

> I did not know goat yogurt, cheese and ice cream are available.
>   Who makes those products?

I can only tell you where I get these in the U.K.  - goats products tend to be local and the ones I buy are
made in England, but there also many varieties from France. Many different kinds of goats cheese are
available and most of the things you can do with dairy cheese can be replicated with goat's.  I have even
seen pizzas ready made with goats cheese in French supermarkets.

The sheeeps cheese and yoghurt is generally made in Greece and imported.  The most readily
available cheese is generally a variety callled 'Fetta' but BEWARE some Fetta (particularly Danish) is
made with cow's milk.  It is a white chees quite hard and salty and packed wet - it does not melt so is no
use for pizzas.  I have also come accross sheeps cheese which is like English cheddar but is not so
tasty and is better cooked.  If you are prepared to splash out financially French Roquefort is a blue
cheese made from ewes milk.  Sheeps yoghurt (again imported from Greece) is particularly smooth
and delicious and is definitley a gastronomic bonus.  Again BEWARE I have yoghurts made with mixed
cow's and ewe's milk.

I hope this helps.

Matthew Kinross