NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2004 11:27:36 -0400
The problem with trying to get rid of certain ("bad") bacteria is that one usually also wipes out the good bacteria which are necessary for certain biological processes to be able to work properly...

A couple of decades ago I read the following description of how to "cure a cold"; of course, there isn't really a cure for the cold and definitely none for influenza, but it's amazing how well the following procedure works to knock out the worst symptoms, especially congestion:

1.  In the evening, about half an hour before going to bed, pour boiling water into a cup, add the juice of 1 lemon, and sweeten with honey.

2.  If the ill person has an electric blanket, turn it on to the highest setting.

3.  Sip the hot lemonade (as hot as one can tolerate) while taking a bath in hot water, again as hot as the person can stand (the idea is to raise the body's temperature from both the inside and the outside).  It is also a good idea to warm up the towels the person will use to dry off, and also to warm the nightclothes (preferably flannel) that they will be wearing.

4.  Make sure that the bathroom itself is very warm, and to get out of the bath before the water cools.

5.  Dry oneself with the warm towels, and immediately put on the warmed nightclothes; make sure to put on slippers if the patient has to walk on a cold floor to get to their bed.

6.  Immediately go to bed, making sure to cover oneself completely with the electric blanket set to "High"; if one doesn't have an electric blanket, then use at least two blankets.

7.  Be warned, this routine WILL result in a fairly uncomfortable feeling, as the whole idea is to cause the body to sweat; this is being done to help augment the body's own natural fever response, which is the body's own natural defense against infection.

Every time I've done this for myself when I've been ill, I've always been amazed at how much better I felt the next morning; while the cold or flu may not have been completely eliminated, the worst of the symptoms have always been gone when I awoke.  Others I know who have followed this routine have reported the same results.

I would caution that anyone who already is running a high fever (over 101) NOT follow this procedure; I would also caution against anyone with high blood pressure and/or heart disease doing it before checking with one's doctor...

June