NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gail Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 20:20:05 -0500
Cheryl,
My son tests allergic to alpha lactalbumin (a whey protein) but he went
undiagnosed for the first 2 years of his life because he does not have any
symptoms like rash or intestinal distress.  His reaction is purely
behavioural and it's like a heroin addict in withdrawal.  He becomes abusive
to others and himself, he's "out of control wild" or he starts with extreme
obsessive compulsive behaviours, disconnecting from his environment, etc.
At 16 months they labeled him with Aspergers Syndrome because his behaviour
classically fit the autistic spectrum.  Outburst were difficult but could be
manageable.

Do we allow trace dairy into his diet?  NO.  Absolutely not.  Why?  Because
we are hoping and praying that he will "outgrow" his allergy and the only
way to accomplish this is through a total elimination.  Dairy proteins can
stay in the body for several weeks, so one "little" slip here and there is 2
weeks of behavioural issues we have to deal with.  It also interferes with
his ability to process sensorial information properly, hinders his
relationships with others and affects his ability to learn.

It's my opinion that children have enough difficulties processing the world
we live in, adding an irritant (knowingly) is not a very sensitive thing to
do.  My son, who has just turned 4, knows that he can not accept food from
anyone unless it has been checked by a "safe" adult.  "Safe" adults are
people I have told him he can go to for advice on foods he's not sure about,
teachers, grandparents, aunts, etc.  I will never leave him in the care of
anyone who is not "dairy informed" and I leave a wallet card with them that
lists hidden dairy ingredient names.  My son is actually really good at
spotting dairy, so it's not that big of an issue.

So, the line is drawn, plain and simple.  No dairy, hidden dairy, etc.  My
son's health will never be forsaken for a token sense of "normalcy" here and
there.  It's just not worth it.  It's something that is completely
controllable and painless.  And hopefully, one day, just like his uncle
before him that was dairy allergic, he may outgrow it.  But if he does not,
at least I've taught him how to live comfortably dairy free.

When my child goes in the sun, we use sunblock to prevent burning.  When
it's snowing outside, we wear coats.  Before crossing a street, we hold
hands and look both ways.  If there is dairy in a food, we avoid it.  Why
expose your child to unnecessary harm?  I know it's hard and a huge PITA,
but consider the long term effects of a little slip here and there.

Gail