NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Theresa McJunkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 06:59:10 -0500
>but even a
>reduction of symptoms is better than nothing!
>
>Trish

I am so glad you of the "psychological" symptoms are contributing to the list!

Here are my thoughts on the dairy/gluten depression phenomenon (and
accompanying symptoms of crying, fatigue,etc.):  It takes a while, over a
month, maybe 3, to get the full benefits if the depression was really bad
before quitting dairy and gluten.  Some of the feelings of returning health
begin immediately (within a week), but some are very subtle and I was
surprised when an unnoticed problem disappeared.  It can happen that way if
you've never known good health, which I believe was the case for me.

Depression does not need to be diagnosed by anyone other than yourself for
a cure to be possible, esp. if dairy and gluten are playing a role (maybe
the whole role).  I thought for years that I should do therapy and prozac.
Then a friend with lupus and celiac, while trying to help me deal with the
chronic fatigue that I had, gave me a book about eating for health that
talks about this stuff.  I also got a book on chronic fatigue that said the
same things.  After 6 months of rigorously eliminating dairy, gluten, and
animal products (I was already a vegetarian but became vegan), I finally
understood what it meant to feel like a "normal" person.  The dragging
fatigue and depression were gone.  It was that simple.  But don't expect
anyone to believe it.

Terry