NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bronwyn Marshall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 12:01:27 +1000
Hi Elizabeth.
I have a 16 month old daughter (Paige), and I don't really cook either. The
answer to your problems is finger foods!
I don't give my daughter dairy much, although the allergy is mine & she
seems fine. I follow 2 really simple rules for feeding her.

Rule 1. 2 kinds fruit or veg at every meal. (this mean she ends up getting
about 7 servings of fruit and veg each day, since she usually has a banana
for a snack - apparently this is the recommended amount here in Australia).

Rule 2. Some sort of protein at each meal.

It really ends up easier than it sounds - and very little cooking for me.
Here are some easy ideas.

Breakfast:
Quaker Oats with grated apple (or applesauce) + a banana
or
Cereal with soymilk (you could use rice milk) and chopped banana + glass of
orange juice.

Snack:
Cut up orange or banana or apple

Lunch:
Avocado on rice crackers. Boiled egg cut in slices. Tomato slices
or
Egg salad sandwich. Cucumber & tomato slices.

Dinner:
Pasta with tomato sauce (she loves rigatoni or any shape she can feed
herself).
Peas & corn (very easy to cook).
or
Cooked baby carrots.
Fish fingers or sardines w/tomato sauce.
or
french toast (just mix up an egg, dip in the bread & cool in a little olive
oil. Paige loves this with ketchup on top)

Kids are happiest with just totally raw ingredients. There is no need to buy
them processed foods or to bother cooking much. That way you worry a whole
lot less about reading labels.  They like to explore different food
flavours, shapes & textures. They also enjoy stronger flavours sometimes,
Paige loves raw tomatos and raw lemons! Also let them learn to use a fork
and a spoon. They pick it up pretty quickly if you let them make a big mess
for a while.

Also - that is fantastic that you are still breastfeeding & twins no less!

Hope this helps!
Bronwyn