NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 11:14:20 -0600
>I am doing a survey for my nutrition class-I'd like to know how many
>allergic kids out there were exclusively breastfed for at least the first 6
>months and continued breastfeeding to at least a year without any formula
>given? Thanks-Cherie

My son was born with milk allergy which became obvious in his first week of
life.  I tried a milk bath that was recommended and he immediately broke
out in a rash.  It took a few days to realize it was the milk.  He still
gets a rash if he gets milk on him but very mild.

He was exclusively breastfed for 6 months (during which time I removed all
traces of dairy from my diet)  and then was weaned at 3 years.  Dairy and
sunflower seeds are his only allergies and he dairy does seem to be quite
mild.  He has had things with milk in it (by accident) the past couple of
years with no outward reactin at all.

Also, for some reason butter has never caused an outward reaction if taken
internally, but if you put some on his skin he will get a rash.  We realize
that the allergy must still be there just the effects are subtle, so we
don't give him any dairy intentionally (except occasionally if he is at a
party and something has a little butter in it as the only dairy, becuase
the joy he gets from eating what everyone else is is immense).

Rachele Shaw