NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susanna Bond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 1998 07:43:02 -0500
My seven year old daughter is on a no milk, no wheat, low gluten diet as
a response to allergies which have caused pneumonia twice in the last 10
months.   I have gotten very committed about this diet since the second
bout of pneumonia in early April.   She had a very healthy early
childhood. I breast fed her until she was four.  I  had eaten pretty
much a nondairy diet because of my response to dairy products.  She
started off to kindergarten,  and had a lot of colds and flues.  When
she was younger she could handle an occasional pizza, but that is
completely out now.  She really didn't have a severe problem until last
summer when she first got pneumonia.

I am wondering about getting a bread machine.  I live in Austin, Texas
and it is easy to buy frozen rice bread.  She doesn't like it very much
unless I make it into french toast.  She can still have eggs.  Where
shall I look for good recipes?  How about a recipe that would make
something like a hot dog bun or hamburger bun?  Is there such a thing?

She likes ranch dressing.  I am going to try to come up with a non-dairy
alternative recipe.  I would appreciate any recipes.

I just got the book DIET FOR A NEW WORLD by John Robbins.  The book
espouses vegetable grain based diet without dairy products.  I haven't
tried the recipes, but they look very promising.  I bought it for the
recipes which look tasty.

Susanna Bond
Austin, Texas