NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dina Dror <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 15:10:53 EDT
In a message dated 10/22/01 7:24:58 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> This is a difficult problem, as you can see by the convolutions on the OU
> site. If I am reading it correctly, it states that any product that has a
> possible caseinate content will be marked by a "D" on the label, making it
> easy to spot. (Assuming of course that the product is submitted to them, as
> not all products are.)

This is not true: (Assuming of course that the product is submitted to them,
as
>  not all products are.)

All products being considered for Kosher certification must go through a
through check for all ingredients from its original source to the final
production. Otherwise, a reliable Kosher certification agency will NOT allow
any of its symbols to be put on the label. Doing so, gets the company fined.
There are several Kashrus magazines and newsletters that report mistakes and
recalls all the time. There are many instances of mislabeling or ingredient
changes.

There is also supposed to be someone on the premises on a regular basis to
make sure that things are correctly done as well. In this way, if there are
any problems, then it will be found and corrected.

As for the question about Lactose, Lactic Acid I believe is the only one that
is Pareve. However, any other derivative with the wording Lact is dairy as
far as I know. It is a confusing subject and I know it's hard to figure out
one thing from the other.

I hope this helps,

Dina