MUNIRAH Archives

The MUNIRAH Chronicle of Black Historical Events & Facts

MUNIRAH@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Munirah Chronicle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The MUNIRAH Chronicle of Black Historical Events & Facts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:53:32 -0500
*		Today in Black History - February 19               *

*  In the E-mail body place:  Subscribe Munirah Your FULL Name        *

1919 - The first Pan-African Congress, organized by W.E.B. Dubois,
	opens in Paris, France.  Fifty-seven delegates from 16
	countries and colonies will meet for three days and declare
	"The natives of Africa must be allowed to participate in the
	government as fast as their development permits."  Blaise
	Diagne of Senegal is elected president and Dubois is named
	secretary. The Pan-African movement is started by these
	African American, African and Caribbean intellectuals,
	stressing the unity of Black people, whether living in Africa
	or in the various parts of the world to which Africans had
	been brought as slaves. African independence and nationalism
	were its goals. These representatives from the Americas,
	Europe, and Africa gather to discuss the situation of
	Africans living under colonialism. Also taking place in Paris
	at that time are the negotiations for the post-WWI Treaty of
	Versailles. Since the fate of the European powers' African
	colonies is being discussed in these negotiations, Du Bois
	hopes to influence the decisions that will come out of the
	peace conference.

1940 - William "Smokey" Robinson is born in Detroit, Michigan.  As
	part of the Motown group "The Miracles" and in his solo
	career, Robinson will be an enduring Rhythm and Blues and
	pop performer. He will also become a Vice-President of Motown
	Records.

1959 - Gabon adopts its constitution.

1987 - A racially motivated civil disturbance erupts in Tampa,
	Florida, after a young African American man dies from
	injuries resulting from a police chokehold.

1992 - John Singleton is nominated for two Academy Awards for best
	director and best screenplay for his first film, "Boyz N the
	Hood."  Singleton is the first African-American director ever
	to be nominated for the Academy Award.

1995 - A day after being named the new chairwoman of the NAACP,
	Myrlie Evers-Williams outlines her plans for revitalizing the
	civil rights organization, saying she intended to take the
	group back to its roots.

1999 - President Bill Clinton posthumously pardons Henry O. Flipper.
	Flipper was the first African American to graduate from the
	U.S. Military Academy at West Point.  Flipper was acquitted
	on charges of embezzlement of commissary funds, but was
	found guilty of "conduct unbecoming an officer" for lying to
	investigators.  He received a dishonorable discharge in 1882.
	He had been a victim of racism from the time he went to West
	Point to the time he was railroaded out of the military.  Mr.
	Flipper joined the ancestors in 1940 at the age of 84.

2002 - Vonetta Flowers becomes the first Black athlete from any
	country to win a gold medal in the Olympic Winter Games. She
	and her partner win the women's two-person bobsled event at
	the Salt Lake City games. They finished their two runs in 1
	minute 37.76 seconds.