MUNIRAH Archives

The MUNIRAH Chronicle of Black Historical Events & Facts

MUNIRAH@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Munirah Chronicle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The MUNIRAH Chronicle of Black Historical Events & Facts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:28:10 -0500
*		Today in Black History - February 14		*

*  In the E-mail body place:  Subscribe Munirah Your FULL Name        *

1760 - Richard Allen, is born into slavery in Philadelphia,
	Pennsylvania. He will purchase his freedom in 1786 and will
	become a preacher the same year.  He will become the first
	African American ordained in the Methodist Episcopal Church
	(1799), and founder of the African Methodist Episcopal (AME)
	Church in 1816, and first bishop of the AME Church.  He will
	join the ancestors on March 26, 1831.

1818 - The birth of Frederick Douglass in Tuckahoe (Talbot County),
	Maryland, is attributed to this date.  He will state, "I have
	no accurate knowledge of my age, never having seen any
	authentic record containing it... and it is the wish of most
	masters within my knowledge to keep their slaves thus
	ignorant." He will be a great African American leader and
	"one of the giants of nineteenth century America.  He was
	born Frederick Bailey and will change his name to Douglass
	after he escapes slavery in 1838. He will join the ancestors
	on February 20, 1895 in Washington, DC.

1867 - Morehouse College is organized in Augusta, Georgia.  The
	school will be moved later to Atlanta.

1867 - New registration law in Tennessee abolishes racial
	distinctions in voting.

1936 - The National Negro Congress is organized at a Chicago meeting
	attended by eight hundred seventeen delegates representing
	more than five hundred organizations.  Asa Phillip Randolph
	of the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters is elected
	president of the new organization.

1946 - Gregory Hines is born in New York City.  A child tap-dancing
	star in the group Hines, Hines, and Dad, Hines will lead a
	new generation of tap dancers that will benefit from the
	advice and teaching of such tap legends as Henry Le Tang,
	"Honi" Coles, Sandman Sims, the Nicholas Brothers, and Sammy
	Davis, Jr.  He will also become a successful actor in movies
	including "White Knights," "Tap," and "A Rage in Harlem." He
	will join the ancestors on August 9, 2003.

1951 - Sugar Ray Robinson defeats Jake LaMotta and wins the
	middleweight boxing title.

1957 - Lionel Hampton's only major musical work, "King David", makes
	its debut at New York's Town Hall.  The four-part symphony
	jazz suite was conducted by Dimitri Mitropoulos.

1966 - Wilt Chamberlain breaks the NBA career scoring record at
	20,884 points after only seven seasons as a pro basketball
	player.

1978 - Maxima Corporation, a computer systems and management company,
	is incorporated.  Headquartered in Lanham, Maryland, it will
	become one of the largest African American-owned companies
	and earn its founder, chairman and CEO, Joshua I. Smith,
	chairmanship of the U.S. Commission on Minority Business
	Development.