IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2010 10:30:22 -0700
E-Prime (short for English-Prime, sometimes spelled E ) is a form of
the English language in which the verb to be does not appear in any
of its forms. E-Prime therefore does not use the words "be", "is",
"am", "are", "was", "were", "been" and "being". Neither does it use
their contractions: "'m", "'s", "'re".

Since the English passive voice uses the verb "to be", E-Prime
speakers must find alternate ways of phrasing ideas that other
speakers might express as passive statements. Certain proponents of
E-Prime advance that this feature of E-Prime encourages writers and
speakers to clearly state actions' driving forces or agents.[1]

Some people use E-Prime as a mental discipline to filter speech and
translate the speech of others.[2] For example, the sentence "the
movie was good" could translate into E-Prime as "I liked the movie"
or as "the movie made me laugh". The E-Prime versions communicate the
speaker's experience rather than judgment, making it harder for the
writer or reader to confuse opinion with fact.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Prime>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-Prime