IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2015 07:56:31 -0800
"In an ideal world­one that understands the
centrality of healthy relationship to health and
wellness­the dopamine reward system stays
connected to
<http://www.jbmti.org/Our-Work/relational-cultural-theory>human
connection as the primary source of stimulation.
Unfortunately, we do not live in this ideal
world. We live in a culture that actively
undermines this precious dopamine-relationship
connection. We raise children to stand on their
own two feet while the separate self is an
American icon of maturity. It is making us sick.

This disconnection is a set-up for
<http://www.helpguide.org/harvard/how-addiction-hijacks-the-brain.htm>addiction
as we search for other sources of dopamine. The
“other sources” look shockingly similar to the
list of common cultural complaints­overeating and
obesity, drug and alcohol abuse, consumerism,
chronic hooking up. Not only do these addictive,
destructive behaviors get paired to the dopamine
reward system but they create a feedback loop of
isolation that pushes people towards more addictions.

Without healthy relationships we each become like
the rats in Skinners box­seeking dopamine from
all the wrong places. Let’s rewire our brains for
the healthy relationships and connections that
reward us with positive energy and motivation."

http://www.wcwonline.org/WCW-Blog/Latest

www.peoplewho.org