IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 Aug 2011 08:31:52 -0700
The research on contagion underscores the fact that we use multiple
means to gain information about others' emotional states:  Conscious
analytic skills can help us figure out what makes other people
"tick".  But if we pay careful attention to the emotions we
experience in the company of others, we may well gain an extra edge
into "feeling ourselves" into the emotional states of others.   Both
provide invaluable information.  In fact there is evidence that both
what we think and what we feel may provide valuable, and different,
information about others.  In one study, for example, Hatfield and
her colleagues2 found that people's conscious assessments of what
others "must be" feeling were heavily influenced by what the others
said. People's own emotions, however, were more influenced by the
others' non-verbal clues as to what they were really feeling.

http://www.elainehatfield.com/ch50.pdf

www.peoplewho.org