IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2011 10:44:51 -0700
Modern society's increasing dependency on online tools for both work
and recreation opens up unique opportunities for the study of social
interactions. A large survey of online exchanges or conversations on
Twitter, collected across six months involving 1:7 million
individuals is presented here. We test the theoretical cognitive
limit on the number of stable social relationships known as Dunbar's
number. We and that users can entertain a maximum of 100  200 stable
relationships in support for Dunbar's prediction. The \economy of
attention" is limited in the online world by cognitive and biological
constraints as predicted by Dunbar's theory. Inspired by this
empirical evidence we propose a simple dynamical mechanism, based on
fnite priority queuing and time
resources, that reproduces the observed social behavior.

http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1105/1105.5170v1.pdf

"People Who experience mood swings, fear, voices and visions"