IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2011 09:08:40 -0700
From: Vince

"The tally of those who are so disabled by mental
disorders that they qualify for Supplemental
Security Income (SSI) or Social Security
Disability Insurance (SSDI) increased nearly two
and a half times between 1987 and 2007­from one
in 184 Americans to one in seventy-six. For
children, the rise is even more startling­a
thirty-five-fold increase in the same two decades.
"If psychoactive drugs are useless, as Kirsch
believes about antidepressants, or worse than
useless, as Whitaker believes, why are they so
widely prescribed by psychiatrists and regarded
by the public and the profession as something
akin to wonder drugs? Why is the current against
which Kirsch and Whitaker and, as we will see,
Carlat are swimming so powerful? I discuss these
questions in Part II of this review. "

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2011/jun/23/epidemic-mental-illness-why/

"People Who experience mood swings, fear, voices and visions"