IRIS Archives

Information and Referral and Internet Sightings

IRIS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sylvia Caras <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 6 Jun 2009 18:27:34 -0700
Whose language is it?

Language helped me understand my feelings.  Language put a label on
why I lost my civil rights.  Language shamed me as I became an
advocate.  I want to use language to re-describe the first thoughts
about people who cope with mood swings, fear, voices and
visions.  I'm intrigued by who is impacted by what, who succumbs, who
recovers, who is transformed.

Most of the language used around medical conditions is negative,
pointing to deficits.  Words around cognition seem even worse to
me.  Treatment-resistant depression, even though modifying
depression, not the bearer of that melancholy, seems to me blaming,
to be pointing not at the flaws in treatment but the flaws of the
individual.  Non-compliance certainly points at the individual,
sidesteps that the rule to be followed might itself be harmful.  My
melancholy persists beyond all attempts to fault it or fault me.  It
is willful, adamant, stubborn.  It persists beyond attempts to talk
it away, to chemically or electrically subdue it.  It persists even
beyond attempts to kill the host.  I call it resilient depression.

Sylvia

"People Who experience mood swings, fear, voices and visions"